PDA

View Full Version : home made lube

McNibbles
03-16-2006, 05:57 PM
hey, i've been researching home-made lube as im trying to save cash left right and center these days (having your bank account in the red will do that to you) and one thing I recently tried was the second option at this site: http://www.modernwife.com/lube.html

now I made up a test batch to see how it goes. surprisingly well considering I never thought of cornstartch for anything except thickening gravey. it produces a sort of jello type substance which can be rubbed into a nice smooth lube. I tested it on my skin first and then on my fleshlight, it seemed to work great. But before i subject my fleshlight to any more usage of it I would like to ask if anyone could foresee this lube causing any damage in the long term to my flesh light?

and speaking of cornstartch, just how should I apply it to my fleshlight for repowdering and how often? I mean, do i just sprinkle over the outside whilst rotating it or should I try and get some into the entry? is there any point in repowdering the outside when the actual exterior is mostly asthetics? or does the gel sort of absorb it so the entire thing benefits from a good helping of the stuff now n then?

Thanks much for all advice :)

mooseman
03-16-2006, 06:23 PM
the homemade lube looks great! its only made of cornstarch and water as far as I could see, so there shouldnt be any problems.
When I powder my inserts, I usually just sprinkle it on inside and out, it helps keep the whole insert smooth and "fresh" it always feels best the few uses after a good powdering!

billiard
04-03-2006, 07:04 AM
the homemade lube looks great! its only made of cornstarch and water as far as I could see, so there shouldnt be any problems.
When I powder my inserts, I usually just sprinkle it on inside and out, it helps keep the whole insert smooth and "fresh" it always feels best the few uses after a good powdering!

ive been reading a lot of lube threads with pple saying powder it ? waht does taht mean ? what pour some baby powder into the insert?

FLightlevel 30
05-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Trying some of this cornstarch-based lube now. We'll see how it goes.

:D

Sperminator
07-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Hey there,

Any updates on this home made cornstarch lube?

I'm letting a batch cool down but I want to know if it reaches a nice lube-kinda substance and if it works!

My FL will be here tomorrow! Can't wait to try it!

chives
07-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey there,

Any updates on this home made cornstarch lube?

I'm letting a batch cool down but I want to know if it reaches a nice lube-kinda substance and if it works!

My FL will be here tomorrow! Can't wait to try it!

Let us know how it turns out. Also consider the recipe in the following thread. It is awesome!

http://www.fleshlight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9843

gcmsking
07-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I tried a batch of this and it was fantastic... best lube I've tried and SO simple (not to mention cheap, though that is not the most important reason to like it).

It was so fast to make. Basically two spoonfuls of cornstarch into a small amount of cool water. stir till smooth. Add to a cup of hot/boiling water and stir, boil one more minute. Stir once again - absolutely perfect, very slick.

Did not get "sticky" and after one break, a little additional lube and once again it was perfect. I highly recommend this simple formula!

musicman51
07-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Regarding the cornstarch lube:

1. Do you have to store this in the refrigerator? (That's what the other website recommends.) Isn't that kind of inconvenient?

2. I wonder what cornstarch and water would do to the inside of an ice insert? I mean, you can't powder an ice regularly or it will begin to cloud over. I wonder if using a powder-in-water lube is going to cloud the canal of an ice insert? In other words, cloud it from the inside rather than from the outside?

gcmsking
07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Regarding the cornstarch lube:

1. Do you have to store this in the refrigerator? (That's what the other website recommends.) Isn't that kind of inconvenient?

I am not sure but I am storing it that way, a covered dish that take very little space. I am not sure that it is required but it's not a big deal to me. Will update once I've tried using the "refrigerated" batch.

2. I wonder what cornstarch and water would do to the inside of an ice insert? I mean, you can't powder an ice regularly or it will begin to cloud over. I wonder if using a powder-in-water lube is going to cloud the canal of an ice insert? In other words, cloud it from the inside rather than from the outside?

What does semen do to the inside of an ice insert? The consistency of this mix is about the same as astroglide or ID glide, very slippery and basically clear. The cornstarch dissolves quite readily and completely, much more so than say flour would. Rinsing afterward as you would ordinarily, I don't think there would be much difference between cornstarch lube and any other. I have an ice butt insert and will update after multiple tries.

chives
07-10-2006, 01:01 PM
I tried a batch of this and I must say I'm not at all impressed. It's not really slick at all. Save the cornstarch for making gravy. The xanthan gum really does work though.

mooseman
07-10-2006, 07:04 PM
musicman, I think the cornstarch would be too watered down to clowd the inserts any. Shouldnt bother those ices too bad

gcmsking
07-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I tried a batch of this and I must say I'm not at all impressed. It's not really slick at all. Save the cornstarch for making gravy. The xanthan gum really does work though.

This seems odd. My batch was extremely slick. Perhaps you didn't have fresh cornstarch or mixed it wrong? I will try the much more expensive Xanthum gum formula when I have a chance to go by a natural foods store, but it's hard to imagine it being any better that a properly mixed cornstarch batch. I reheated a batch from the fridge and again, excellent results.

chives
07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
This seems odd. My batch was extremely slick. Perhaps you didn't have fresh cornstarch or mixed it wrong? I will try the much more expensive Xanthum gum formula when I have a chance to go by a natural foods store, but it's hard to imagine it being any better that a properly mixed cornstarch batch. I reheated a batch from the fridge and again, excellent results.
What exactly are the measurements for the recipe you used? I used about a tablespoon of cornstarch to about a cup of water.

chives
07-12-2006, 11:37 AM
OK, I tried using about twice as much cornstarch, and does have some decent slickness. Not bad at all for dirt cheap, great if theres nothing else good around, and you don't want to go to the store. I still definitely prefer the xanthan gum though.

gcmsking
07-14-2006, 07:51 AM
OK, I tried using about twice as much cornstarch, and does have some decent slickness. Not bad at all for dirt cheap, great if theres nothing else good around, and you don't want to go to the store. I still definitely prefer the xanthan gum though.

I used my same cornstarch batch again yesterday (3rd time) and while still good, it was not as slick. I have been storing in fridge and reheating, not sure if that has caused it.

Sperminator
07-14-2006, 11:56 AM
My batch has little solid pieces of mix even though i boiled it up yesterday when I made it and mixed it well..

gcmsking
07-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Chives...

What are you storing your xanthan gum/glycerin/GSE/water lube in? And how many drops of GSE are you putting in?

chives
07-18-2006, 09:09 PM
My batch has little solid pieces of mix even though i boiled it up yesterday when I made it and mixed it well..

I didn't boil mine I just used cold water and mixed it with a hand held bender like this http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4391/22128862fc9.jpg
and it mixed all the lumps out.

chives
07-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Chives...

What are you storing your xanthan gum/glycerin/GSE/water lube in? And how many drops of GSE are you putting in?
I had a batch start to mold. I'm not sure how much GSE it would take to be effective and whether that might irritate sensitve areas. So now I just put it in the refrigerator and then microwave it when I wan't to use it. I keep it in an old ID Glide bottle I had.

Something else to try is to just put some of the powder in a salt shaker and have a squirt bottle with water on hand. Just spray yourself with water and sprinkle on a little powder. Then spray on a little more water and moisten the Fleshlight with water.This will create a long lasting slick coating on your dick that will even hold up for a while in the shower. Don't cake the stuff on too much, it's a little hard to get off.

chives
07-18-2006, 09:24 PM
If your really serious about making your own lube that will last without refrigeration you can get a preservative product called Methylparaben NF at http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/preservatives.html

mp6096
07-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Gold Bond Ultimate healing skin therapy lotion ... it says it's non greesy, but I swear one squirt of this stuff will last longer that you will. ... I have had several hour long sessions and it never ever needs anything more ... it's insane man

chives
07-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Gold Bond Ultimate healing skin therapy lotion ... it says it's non greesy, but I swear one squirt of this stuff will last longer that you will. ... I have had several hour long sessions and it never ever needs anything more ... it's insane man
Non-Greasy ≠ Oil-free

The 4th ingredient in the that product is petrolatum which is not Fleshlight compatible.

gcmsking
07-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Salt shaker and squirt bottle... what a great idea! also, thx for the link to the preservative, although I already ordered the gse so unless I can dream up other uses for gse, I think I'll stick with that... you had some go moldy with gse though?

chives
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Salt shaker and squirt bottle... what a great idea! also, thx for the link to the preservative, although I already ordered the gse so unless I can dream up other uses for gse, I think I'll stick with that... you had some go moldy with gse though?
Using more GSE might work. I should try testing some on the skin to see how gentle it is. I only put about 2 drops in 12 oz of the stuff that spoiled.

chives
07-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Sorry, looks like GSE may not be all that efficacious after all. :(

http://www.naturalingredient.org/GSE_Interview.html

DigFL
07-19-2006, 03:50 PM
The 4th ingredient in the that product is petrolatum which is not Fleshlight compatible.
Yes...

Petrolatum = vaseline = bad for your peepee and your fleshlight.

Dig

kerambit
07-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Yes...

vaseline = bad for your peepee

Dig

Why is vaseline bad for your wang? :confused:

DigFL
07-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Why is vaseline bad for your wang? :confused:
I asked my doctor about this very thing actually.

Basically, your dick isn't going to drop off or anything if you jerkoff with vaseline, and unless you have an allergy to it the vaseline itself isn't going to cause any problems. What he told me is that vaseline puts a very thick film on your genitals and traps a lot of moisture and germs underneath it. The penis is a much more sensitive skin area than other places vaseline was made for, and by creating this oily film you increase your risk of abcess, and warts, and other nasty things. Anything your hands may have been in contact with. This is even more true for those that use vaseline for anal or vaginal sex with a partner. The risk of passing an STD or STI is greater because the vaseline holds the infection in place where it has a better and longer opportunity to penetrate the membranes.

It's also virtually impossible to wash off! LoL.

I used vaseline quite a bit in my youth and didn't have any major problems. Now we have much better choices though, and with all the great water-based lubes that are out now there's little or no reason to reach for the vaseline.

Of course my doc could be wrong, but his advice makes sense to me so I follow it.

Dig

gcmsking
07-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Title says it all. The bottle of vegetable glycerin I received... to mix a batch of the brew that Noctua and Chives have raved about... refers to itself as vegetable glycerin oil. I am not sure it is "oil" but am now concerned... is it safe for the FL?

chives
07-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Title says it all. The bottle of vegetable glycerin I received... to mix a batch of the brew that Noctua and Chives have raved about... refers to itself as vegetable glycerin oil. I am not sure it is "oil" but am now concerned... is it safe for the FL?
Glycerin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerin) is not an oil, although it is synthesized from oil. It's water soluble and won't harm the FL. Many lubes contain glycerin including the popular Astroglide.

gcmsking
07-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Glycerin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerin) is not an oil, although it is synthesized from oil. It's water soluble and won't harm the FL. Many lubes contain glycerin including the popular Astroglide.

Thanks once again. Not being a chemist, I didn't follow all the details in the wiki you linked, but it is good to hear it is safe. Looking forward to mixing up a batch...

gcmsking
07-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Was just noting the ingredients in water-based lubes from another thread. It seems that "Probe" is very similar (excepting for the xanthan gum) and uses grapefruit seed extract as a preservative. Perhaps it is efficacious? is it the xanthan gum that makes the mixture susceptible to mold?

chives
07-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Was just noting the ingredients in water-based lubes from another thread. It seems that "Probe" is very similar (excepting for the xanthan gum) and uses grapefruit seed extract as a preservative. Perhaps it is efficacious? is it the xanthan gum that makes the mixture susceptible to mold?

Yeah I found that stuff too. Maybe the GSE would work. Perhaps one would just have to experiment more to determine how much to use.

Yes, it is the xanthan that is suseptible to bacteria/mold since it is a digestable carbohydrate.

gcmsking
07-29-2006, 09:02 PM
FWIW, I tried the Chives formula and it is excellent - great lube! Thanks, I do prefer it to the cornstarch formula. So slick.