No announcement yet.

Xanthan Gum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finally ordered one of these things, and it should be here by the weekend (2-day shipping). :bird: New apartment for me - but all packages go through the front office first. Let's just hope that the package doesn't endure any damage during shipping, and allow a peek at what's inside, or if anyone there just gets nosy.:dong:

So anyway, what does the packaging for xanthan gum look like? I checked the baking aisle of a grocery store I frequent, and didn't happen to see any xanthan gum. They do have an "organic" and health-food section. Would it be there? In my Internet travels, I also found that it might be used for gelling up cold food items.

In what department(s) has anyone found their xanthan gum supply?

Comment

Originally posted by J22197
      In what department(s) has anyone found their xanthan gum supply?
      I couldn't find any xanthan gum in local stores, so I bought a 6 oz bottle from netrition.com.

Comment

anyone know what other kinds of words you might use to refer to this? I can't find any danish word for it :hmmmm:

Comment

Originally posted by FLightPilot
          In an alternate universe it might, but in this universe it doesn't.

Also, the ingredient "Polyquaternium 15" in astroglide liquid is a polymer.
          Just what I was thinking. The ID Glide lists at least one polymer in its ingredient list. It's kind of like saying, "Since this apple contains carbon, and I also contain carbon, it's going to melt or ruin my insides."
          It don't quite work that way.

Comment

NEW Info: go get your Xanthan Gum from bodybuilding.com they have one priced at around 6 bucks with 3.99 shipping so total about 10bucks (you can also get some supplement there for the same shipping I believe)

Comment

Confused about the recomended preservative

Some of the posts in this thread mention "grapefruit seed extract" and others mention "grape seed" extract. I don't claim to have any superior powers of observation but I have detected noticable differences between grapes and grapefruits. Both extracts seem to have claims of antimicrobial properties.

Grapefruit seed extract's claims as a preservative seem to be debunked. Yes, all the reports led back to the same study but that study made a lot of sense.

I havn't been able to find grapefruit seed extract locally but it certainly is available online. Every place I checked locally did stock the "grape seed extract" in capsuls or tablets.

So which product are you all using as a preservative ?

Comment

Originally posted by RedneckRay
                Some of the posts in this thread mention "grapefruit seed extract" and others mention "grape seed" extract. I don't claim to have any superior powers of observation but I have detected noticable differences between grapes and grapefruits. Both extracts seem to have claims of antimicrobial properties.

Grapefruit seed extract's claims as a preservative seem to be debunked. Yes, all the reports led back to the same study but that study made a lot of sense.

I havn't been able to find grapefruit seed extract locally but it certainly is available online. Every place I checked locally did stock the "grape seed extract" in capsuls or tablets.

So which product are you all using as a preservative ?
                I think people mistakenly put grape seed extract. It's grapefruit seed extract that you want. I have never tried it. I kept my xantham gum lube in the fridge without a preservative and it seemed to work fine. Although I didn't buy it there, I found GSE at Whole Foods.

Comment

Anyone happen to know what active ingredient(s) is used in warming lubes for the warming feeling? I'm kinda wanting to experiment with that. Wouldn't be as easy to get most of the chemicals used in lubes in person, but ordering from a chemical supply company online would be feasible.

Comment

Active ingredient: Fire

Comment

Xanthan gum is an emulsifier so, since the fleshlight is mostly non-polar(you can tell by the oils it leaves behind and all the warnings against using non water-souble lubricants) xanthan should cause the fleshlight to lose it's cohesiveness as it allows the fleshlight molecules to mix with water.

On the other hand, my fleshlight has only been used with water and ID lube for about 9 months and it's falling apart anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by mareel
                        Anyone happen to know what active ingredient(s) is used in warming lubes for the warming feeling? I'm kinda wanting to experiment with that. Wouldn't be as easy to get most of the chemicals used in lubes in person, but ordering from a chemical supply company online would be feasible.
                        Go to a website for one of the lubes that has both warming and non-warming and compare the ingredients!

Not every lube website lists ingredients, but I know that some do. Try ID, perhaps, or Astroglide. Both of them (I think) make warming and non-warming.

Comment

I have to try it now

Will it degrade my FL over time???

Comment

I found Xanthan Gum even cheaper at http://www.iherb.com/ProductsList.aspx?c=1&cid=1646&gclid=CPyekOqez5ACF QGzGgodBhvtWQ

You guy said $12 for 8oz, I found it at $5.43 for 6oz

$12 / 8oz = $1.5 per oz
                            $5.43 / 6oz = $0.90 per oz

but there is shipping (mine came out to $2.21)
                            Last edited by Balls_To_The_Walls; 12-29-2007, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Reading this forum... am I the only one that gets this visual of Mr Wizard wanking?

Comment

(those under the age of 30... replace "Mr Wizard" with "Bill Nye the Science Guy")

Comment

Working...
                                X