Xanthan Gum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigfootsMonk
    can someone advise me on where to get xanthan gum? I cannot find it in grocery stores and kmarts
    I found it at the grocery store in the health food section with the baking stuff. It's intended for making wheat gluten free baked goods. Mine came in an 8oz plastic bag and it was "Bob's Red Mill" brand. You can also get it online [URL="http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=431"]here[/URL] or other places I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BigfootsMonk
      can someone advise me on where to get xanthan gum? I cannot find it in grocery stores and kmarts
      It can also be had at amazon.com, but I'd prefer to buy locally so I can ensure I get a fresh package.

I wasn't able to find anything last weekend at my local grocery, which has a meager selection. I'll have to head to the big city and hit up the all natural stores.

Comment

Glycerin optional... and does what?

[quote=chives] I also used glycerin for which I paid $2 for 4 oz.
        • 1 cup water
        • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum powder
        • 4 oz glycerin
        12 oz lube = $2.14

It glycerin is optional I guess but I think it makes it just perfect.

It seems the glycerin is the bulk of the cost (more than 90%) of the finished product. What impact does the glycerin have? Did you try a batch without the glycerin and if so, what is the difference between the two batches? I do know that most commercial water-based lubes use glycerin but wasn't sure of the effect versus just the xanthum gum/water mix.

Comment

[quote=gcmsking]
          Originally posted by chives

It seems the glycerin is the bulk of the cost (more than 90%) of the finished product. What impact does the glycerin have? Did you try a batch without the glycerin and if so, what is the difference between the two batches? I do know that most commercial water-based lubes use glycerin but wasn't sure of the effect versus just the xanthum gum/water mix.
          It's very good without the glycerin. The glycerin just gave it a slightly different feel, and I think it lasts a bit longer with the glycerin since glycerin doesn't evaporate. This way it's still pretty good even when it starts to getting a little dry.

Comment

What brand of GSE to use for Xantham mixture

First off thanks to all fo you that have provided the homemade mixture...the xantham one is calling my namea and i'm planning on purchasing some to give it a try....someone (sorry but I don't remember who) recommended the use of a few drops of GSE (which I've come to learn is Grapefruit Seed Extract). Not sure what store I could purchase this...but have found numerous items online...one is actually called GSE and it's a concentrate that they recomment be diluted with water...so it sounds like a couple of drops of this in the xantham mixture would do the trick...

my main question stems from onf of the GSE items I found that is a tincture of 60% GSE and 40% vegetable glycerin....when I read that I remembered the glycerin portion of the recipe recommended by Noctua, I think, if not Chives...

anyway...just looking for more specifics in regards to the GSE as a preservative for these homemade lubes, and if getting the 60/40 tincture would be effective and if I would be effectively killing two birds with one stone as it comes 40% vegetable glycerin...

any thoughts?

Comment

disregard this

couldn't find how to subscribe to this thread, and hadn't set my options to subscribe me with a reply until after i'd replied...so here's another just for that reason..sorry folks...

not used to this interface...been a longtime since i've used this type of forum interface..

Comment

Originally posted by mystique13
                anyway...just looking for more specifics in regards to the GSE as a preservative for these homemade lubes, and if getting the 60/40 tincture would be effective and if I would be effectively killing two birds with one stone as it comes 40% vegetable glycerin...

any thoughts?
                The amount of glycerin you would get from the GSE would be negligible considering the amount of GSE that you would use, although the glycerin is optional anyways.

I have not yet determined if GSE is effective for this purpose. The GSE is pretty strong stuff. If you dilute a few drops in a cup of water and taste it you'll know what I mean. I don't know how much GSE it would take to be effective, nor do I know if that amount of GSE would be mild enough to apply to your penis.

You might consider a paraben based perservative which is what most "real" lube contains. You can get some at [URL="http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/preservatives.html"]http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/preservatives.html[/URL].

Comment

Xantham Vs. Guar

I went to Whole Foods just to see if I could find the Xantham poweder, which I almost missed, but ended up finding. Right next to it was Guar gum powder which was waaaaaaaaay cheaper, like 43.99 for the same size bag of Xantham at $10.99...has anyone tried Guar gum powder for a lube solution? or does anyone know how well it might work and how safe it is to use on bare skin?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mystique13
                    I went to Whole Foods just to see if I could find the Xantham poweder, which I almost missed, but ended up finding. Right next to it was Guar gum powder which was waaaaaaaaay cheaper, like 43.99 for the same size bag of Xantham at $10.99...has anyone tried Guar gum powder for a lube solution? or does anyone know how well it might work and how safe it is to use on bare skin?

Thanks!
                    I was at Whole Foods yesterday and had a bit of xanthan gum sticker shock as well. They wanted $12 for an 8oz package, and didn't offer any smaller packages. Considering how little of the product is required to make the lube, I didn't want to buy a lot of this stuff just to have it go to waste

One of the posts at the top of the thread mentions guar gum being an ingredient in commercial lubes just as xanthan gum. I might head back over tomorrow and give the guar a shot if my local store has it as cheap as noted above.

Comment

Originally posted by chives
                      There is a post on the forum somwhere by a chemist who said that essential oils in small amounts won't hurt the fleshlight. So I can imagine you could add all kinds of different things like mint, or cinnamon. You could also add artificial sweetener, and for fruit flavors maybe coolaid powder or something.
                      Gotta thank you fine folks for this amazing recipe. I made it today after gathering the ingredients, and I must say that the lubricant it makes is excellent and affordable.

Another thing that impressed me is that vegetable glycerin is edible, and a low gylcemic index sugar substitute. Therefore the lubricant is safe for consumption, and has a mild flavor to it.

I added the GSE [about 3 or 4 drops], but was curious how long I can store it before it goes bad. I don't anticipate putting it in the fridge, but could to extend the shelf life...any ideas?

Overall, thank you for this economic alternative and a damn good recipe!

Cheers,
                      Topher

Comment

Hello. There is certainly a lack of info on Xanthan Gum and other used as a personal lubricant. I think you have definately cracked a good formula here.

The first two ingredients (highest amounts) of many water based lubes are water and glycerin. Glycerin thickens water, but it doesn't form a good lube. The key is definately in an ingredient used in smaller amounts, and that's xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is unique because only a very small amount if needed to take care of plenty of water. It's called pseudoplasticity, high viscosity at low shear rates. That's probably why it has gone fairly unnoticed online as an ingredient in home made personal lube, because only a very small amount is in lubes.

Glycerin should help it to not dry out. I think vegetable glycerin is better, but always use enough water because glycerin can dry out your skin big time. I'm not sure how it will be if this lube dries up since glycerin doesn't evaporate, and without water it could try to pull water from your skin. Imo use it sparingly. Water based lubes may have other ingredients to aid the glycerin that this forumla doesn't have.

As for the larger amount of xanthan gum, smaller amounts don't hurt the fleshlight (since it's in water based lube), so larger amounts shouldn't either.. but you never know.

It should be 100% safe to *you* since it's considered a safe food additive and the ratio isn't limited (they didn't find an unsafe amount, meaning there shouldn't be a risk no matter how much you use)

Comment

Update on this great recipe

I've been away awhile... but must say I put a slight twist on this recipe and have not looked back.

I used the water/xanthum gum mix, heated and stirred... then added a small amount of cornstarch (premixed with a little water). This slightly thickens the lube to what is, for me, a perfect consistency. Previously, it was too thin - runny, a bit messy. This is perfect. I also used the glycerin and GSE and have had no problem with mold. I use an old "liquid hand soap" container and do not refridgerate. This has been absolutely perfect.

If you are looking for ingredients, they are all available through Amazon - also cheapest place I could find and saved me from running all over town.

Comment

Originally posted by datasampler
                            ... glycerin can dry out your skin big time....
                            Actually [URL="http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/glycerine.html"]glycerin is an emollient[/URL] that should help moisturize the skin, but it's completely optional. Just the xanthan gum and water makes a great lube.

Comment

Current recipe

One tablespoon of guar gum
                              One teaspoon of xanthan gum
                              Then depending on how thick you want it, around about 1.8 (+/- 3 dl) liters of water
                              Or vary the mix of guar:xanthan ratio between 50:50 and 80:20, keeping the water:gum ratio between 98:2 and 99:1 . Very jelly-like at the 98:2 level when uhm, not using, but will liquefy a bit when movin'n'shakin.

[url]http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/hydro.html[/url]

Comment

I was wondering if anyone has done more experimenting with different recipes of this xanthan gum lube? I did some research into natural preservatives and found some interesting studies on honey. It seems a relatively small amount of raw honey could do a good job of preventing mold and other nasties in any homemade lube.

Comment

Working...
                                X