Xanthan Gum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chives
    I found it at the grocery store in the health food section with the baking stuff. It's intended for making wheat gluten free baked goods. Mine came in an 8oz plastic bag and it was "Bob's Red Mill" brand. You can also get it online [URL="http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=431"]here[/URL] or other places I'm sure.
    For those that live in Canada...Ontario anyway...I found it without any problem at The Real Canadian Super Store (Loblaws) in the baking section of the Organic/Natural Foods aisle. It was Bob's Red Mill brand as mentioned above and was $12.99. Since most commercial lubes in Canada can cost upwards of $15.00 for a small 5oz bottle or smaller, the $12.99 price tag was no big deal to me considering how little you have to use and the total amount of lube 1 bag will produce over time.

Comment

I'm definitely going to be trying this.

Do they sell Xanthan Gum at health food stores? Or supermarket?

And what the best way to keep it preserved (besides parabens)? Would keeping it in the fridge help? I also heard about someone adding Grape Seed Extract. Does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by Indoobidubly
        Would keeping it in the fridge help?
        Yes. That's how I preserve mine.

Comment

Originally posted by FLightPilot
          Yes. That's how I preserve mine.
          How long does it last when kept in the fridge?

Comment

How long does it last when kept in the fridge?
            The longest I've kept some in the fridge before it was all used up was around 2 months, and it was still fresh all that time.

Comment

The longest I've kept some in the fridge before it was all used up was around 2 months, and it was still fresh all that time.
              Sweet, thanks.

Do you heat it up before using it (like in the microwave)?

Comment

Do you heat it up before using it (like in the microwave)?
                Yes. I microwave it to get the chill out and get only slightly warm.

Comment

I don't know if anyone is aware of this or not but Xanthan Gum is made by fermenting d-potassium and polymers. And since the fleshlights are made of oil and polymers, xanthan gum might melt or ruin the insert. Anything with oil or polymers will ruin the fleshlight inserts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolt_Head
                    I don't know if anyone is aware of this or not but Xanthan Gum is made by fermenting d-potassium and polymers. And since the fleshlights are made of oil and polymers, xanthan gum might melt or ruin the insert. Anything with oil or polymers will ruin the fleshlight inserts.
                    Interesting Bolt Head. Anyone who has used Xanthan Gum for a while care to chime in?

Comment

Originally posted by Bolt_Head
                      ... xanthan gum might melt or ruin the insert.
                      In an alternate universe it might, but in this universe it doesn't.

Also, the ingredient "[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyquaternium"]Polyquaternium 15[/URL]" in astroglide liquid is a polymer.

Comment

I just made a batch of this and so far so good, I think.

I had a lot of trouble getting the lumps of Xanthan Gum mixed with the water. I basically just shook the bottle and used a toothpick to poke the chunks.

If anyone knows of an easier way to mix it I'd love to hear it.

Comment

If anyone knows of an easier way to mix it I'd love to hear it.
                          Just letting it sit over night causes the chunks to fully dissolve.

Comment

Just letting it sit over night causes the chunks to fully dissolve.
                            Awesome. Thanks, dude.

One more final question: should I store the Xanthan Gum in the refrigerator as well?

Comment

should I store the Xanthan Gum in the refrigerator as well?
                              Probably, yes.

Comment

I tried my batch of 1/2 cup water to 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum and it's a great lube... it's just a little too slick for me. Would cutting the Xanthan Gum down to 1/4 teaspoon help at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X