Welcome to the Fleshlight Forums.

Thread: Guar Gum

FLight Attendant

Default Guar Gum

Hey there. I got my hands on some Guar gum. Before that i had tried various regular lubes such as Astroglide and other brandnames. I also tried a homemade cornstarch lube which was pretty good but in the end it didn't really hold up for longer sessions.

It started to break down and become to watery due to the shear stress of cornstarch. IE: Raised shear stress amounts cause the cornstarch/water mixture to lower its viscosity.

Now, on to the subject matter i'd like to state that after using Guar Gum as a lubricant i'd advise you to never ever get a regular brand lube again!

Compared to Guar gum/water all the regulars i've tried are
    _overpriced crap_.
    I know that a lot of things are subjected to personal taste and so forth but this is different. Switching from regular lubes to Guar was like going from VHS to DVD. ;D

This stuff is cheaper than anything on the market including xanthan gum.
    It's lubricating qualities are just great! I did a little experiment to test how long it took before i dried up without using the FL for , ehum , my purposes.

And 5 hours later, i checked on it. It was damn cold, but just as slippery as when i applied it.
    Well, on to actually using it!
    The resistance and slipperiness is fucking great! This as close as it can be to the "real stuff". It doesn't dry up.
    When mixing it up,use a blender or similar in hot water. Just add as much water to get the texture you want and you're ready to go!

Considering how cheap it is i can't understand why one would want anything else. The place i ordered from was really fast considering it being in the US and me being in Scandinavia.

A container consisting of 220 grams cost me 4 dollars and 9 in total with shipping costs included.
    All i have left to say is: don't hesitate to ge this right now! It's really great!
    Happy spanking.

FLight Attendant
    Wisconsin, USA, Earth, Orion Arm, Milky Way

Default Re: Guar Gum

I'd have to wholeheartedly agree! (I'm using the xanthan gum version currently.)

I'm still in the experimenting phase with it, but I found that adding a little glycerin makes it much more like KY-liquid - if you prefer that (which I do)..

I also did a little experiment just now. I added the gum to a little bit of glycerin and it completely dissolved right away..

So by doing it this way, no hot water and/or blender is even needed at all!. Just add your desired amount of gum to some glycerin, mix it up - then add THAT to your desired amount of water.
    SO SIMPLE!

And it turns out to last much longer than, in my case, KY Liquid.

BTW Spider, did you do any comparison with xanthan gum vs guar gum? If so, what were the differences?

FLight Attendant

Fuck yeah. Now that i traded regular lubes for Guar, i can't for the love of god understand why anyone eould even want a regular lube. People NEED to know that this really is the shit! I was kind of low on Cash and ran out of regular lube, so as a temporary solution i use cornstarch and water and even that was better than any regular Lube!

Hm, comparisons? They basically have the same viscosity and water binding properties, but Guar is MUCH cheaper. Plus that Xanthan can give ssome unfortunate people allergic reactions. So I didn't wan't expose myself to that risk.
    But i guess they're almost the same lube-wise. Even though Guar simply seemed to never dry up, not even during a lengthy session.
    In fact the only problem i've had is that FL sucks all the lube up to the top of the FL.

Bolt_Head

I was mentioning Guar gum a long time ago......It's good stuff to use as a lube.

FLight Attendant

I would say it's better than good, it's good enough to replace any Lube out there. The only snag is that you have to make it yourself, and that the preservative qualities of it aren't that great. I really think that ILF should start making their own FL-lube based on Guar Gum. I WOULD buy that over anything else.

FLight Attendant
    Wisconsin, USA, Earth, Orion Arm, Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderprint View Post
    The only snag is that you have to make it yourself, and that the preservative qualities of it aren't that great.
    For preservation qualities.. I would go with methylparaben and/or Optiphen. Both can be bought from Snowdrift Farms. They're hella cheaper than GSE, and yet both absolutely work without question!

Without preservatives, xanthan lube would last 3 days before starting to smell 'off'. After a week, it would start to smell rank. (unrefrigerated)

Testing has shown me:
    methylparaben: 1/8 tsp for 4 oz.
    Optiphen: .5 -.75 ml for 4 oz.

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
    For preservation qualities.. I would go with methylparaben and/or Optiphen. Both can be bought from Snowdrift Farms. They're hella cheaper than GSE, and yet both absolutely work without question!

Without preservatives, xanthan lube would last 3 days before starting to smell 'off'. After a week, it would start to smell rank. (unrefrigerated)

Testing has shown me:
    methylparaben: 1/8 tsp for 4 oz.
    Optiphen: .5 -.75 ml for 4 oz.
    Nice, I would imagine since guar gum and xantham gum are pretty similar, the recipes can be used interchangeably.

I'm looking for a recipe that'll perserve the lube indefinitely at room temperature. It'd save on labor to make a ton at once.

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
    I would go with methylparaben and/or Optiphen. Both can be bought from Snowdrift Farms.
    Well apparently they closed down, where could I get it now?

FLight Navigator

I saw both on Amazon, but other than that idk

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthan View Post
    I saw both on Amazon, but other than that idk
    I did find them on Amazon.com, but since I'm Canadian, I checked the.ca site and it wasn't there. It really sucks, for some reason the Canadian site doesn't have the same selection as the US site.

FLight Attendant

It can be found on Iherb.com, google Iherb.