Welcome to the Fleshlight Forums.
    FLight Attendant
    Wisconsin, USA, Earth, Orion Arm, Milky Way

Default Preservative for Xanthan lube

First off, I'd like to give a BIG thanks to everybody that kept mentioning Xanthan gum lube. If I would've discovered that tip years ago I would've saved a shitload of money over the years!
    I'm now kicking myself for having bought 4 bottles of various liquid-based(also water-based) lubes a couple weeks ago.

Anyways, while at my local health food shop where I bought the xanthan gum, I noticed a small bottle of grapefruit seed extract was $10! Thanks to another poster, I also saw a link to get a REAL preservative called methylparaben - $5 for 4 ounces of powder. So that should be here soon.

Question is - they say to add a maximum of .1% methylparaben powder. How should that be measured if making an 8-ounce batch of lube? The smallest measuring spoon I have is 1/4 tsp.

I'd post the link, but I'm not sure if I would be allowed to.

(Can't wait for my first FL to arrive tomorrow!!! )

FLight First Officer

Default Re: Preservative for Xanthan lube

I use 91% alcohol to keep mine flesh

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by Balls_To_The_Walls View Post
    I use 91% alcohol to keep mine flesh
    So I take it you use a couple drops every couple of weeks or so - if not using it up before that??

Or more specifically - how many drops per how many ounces? And how often?

FLight Attendant

An update on using methylparaben powder as a preservative:

I've been finding that 1/8 tsp seems to be sufficient for 4 ounces of lube for at least 3-4 weeks now.

I've also been experimenting with another preservative I bought from Snowdrift Farms at the same time, called Optiphen - a liquid preservative.

With Optiphen, I found .5 - .75 ml sufficient for a 4 ounce batch.. Measured with one of those droppers you see for babies.
    I still have a small amount left that is probablly around 3 months old and still smells like Optiphen!
    Optiphen has a kind of cosmetics smell to it.
    Methlyparaben is orderless though.

FLight Attendant

I'd also like to know if there are other places to buy preservatives. If anyone else has come across another site besides Snowdrift Farm, I'd be glad to hear it!
    I only went to SF because another poster mentioned it - I hate to keep saying the name, because it makes me sound like I'm a spammer or something.
    The thing that kinda, sorta worries me though is if SF ever goes out of business, where else do I get REAL preservatives from??

I tried checking online for other sellers, but haven't found all that much yet in which us average consumers could go to. One site I came across sold 500g for $96! I paid ~$5(IIRC) for 4 ounces at SF - which turns out to be ~114g.

I did come across another site that sold some other preservatives for just about as cheap.. They didn't have methylparaben though. Plus they also had some info on the use of preservatives in general that I thought would be helpful to the community here:
    [url]http://www.makingcosmetics.com/articles/01-how-to-use-preservatives-in-cosmetics.pdf[/url]

Hopefully the link is allowed.. I think the ILF rules only state to not post other sites that sell pre-made lubes - which is understandable since they sell those themselves. If you think about it, I would think they wouldn't mind about the xanthan lube thing. The money I save on lube has definitely made me not care how often I use the FL and therefore end up buying more inserts in the long run as they wear out from over-use.

I think some good search terms to find other places would be to look for places that sell cosmetic and/or soap-making supplies - things along that nature. I'll continue to look, but I'm only one person and can't devote all of my time to finding places that sell preservatives.

I can't be the only one that has some experience in using preservatives and is interested in preserving xanthan lube, am I?

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post

I've been finding that 1/8 tsp seems to be sufficient for 4 ounces of lube for at least 3-4 weeks now.
    Nice, I'm going to try this out. Hopefully it'll keep for that period of time without refrigeration. I understand methylparaben to be a very powerful preservative.

FLight Attendant

I just bought 8 oz of Guar and 6 ounces of Xanthan gum from iherb. I'm going to use the glycerin method, dissolving my gum in glycerin before adding water.
    In addition, I bought a bottle of Neem Oil ( wikipedia /wiki/Neem#Uses ). Having looked through a list of essential oils that are antimicrobial, I settled on Neem oil. There's also Lavender oil (chance of skin reaction), tea trea oil (same), oregano oil, onion oil, etc. Neem oil has beneficial effects to the skin, so I decided it was the best choice.
    And it's $7.27 for one fluid ounce.
    I will report how it goes once the ingredients arrive, and try to give a more definitive answer to the differences between Guar and Xanthan gum, as well as the effects of Neem oil.

Oh, and, this is my first post.

Daxagon

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post

Update: I've had a bottle last WELL over 5 months, unrefrigerated, with this ratio of methylparaben before being used up. I may have used a tad over. It is a VERY 'puffy' powder, if that makes any sense.. It seems to have a lot of air in it..

I haven't done too much further testing on the Optiphen, partly because it smells too much like women's cosmetics. But mostly because the methylparaben has been working SOOOO well for me thus far and that 4oz seems like it will last almost toooo long as it is.

For the curious: When I say "well over 5 months".. It may be about 6-7 months and continuing. I used a hefty amount of xanthan for one 8-oz bottle(heaping 1 tsp.) and have been using that to refill my 4-oz bottles when needed. The last 3 [diluted] bottles remain now, which are likely over 7 months old now. (And YES - always unrefrigerated. And YES - they still smell just fine!)

Hope this helps some folks! (i know it has helped me!)
    Still haven't broken a FL yet, but I don't always use them.

FLight Attendant

I use the grapefruit seed extract and I have never had a batch of lube go bad before I used it up. I make about 6 oz's of lube at a time and put 3 drops of the grapefruit seed extract in it. I got it at a vitamin shop in the area for 8$ and at 3 drops a pop it should last about the next 10 years.

FLight Attendant

Does anyone know of a place where I can Buy the same preservatives that are found in fleshlube water? Cause If I make my lube, i want it to have a similar texture (all other lubes irritate me if they contain parabons, etc)

FLight Attendant

I use Guar gum (found in bio shop for gluten free diet). I make an amount of 50ml. Here is how I do it: I have a short but thick syringe, with a cap on the end, You can compare with a bottle with a large hole at the bottom. Fill about 1 ml glyceryn, use the same amount of guar with a small "spoon". Mix it. Add a little of water and "seal" the syringe and shake it. Fill it almost full with water and shake it again. Do it quickly or guar gum will clog. Push the air out, so there is never air in it and place the cap. Keep air away preserves it longer. It's a very realistic lube I LOOOOVE IT!

FLight Attendant

I bet you have some natural preservative in your kitchen right now, so why buy any??

What am I talking about? Well it's the oldest natural preservative that humans have used.

Table Salt.

You're not eating your xanthan gum lube, so why would you care if it's salty. pour some salt into the water before adding the xanthan gum.
    Bingo, no baterial growth at room tempature!

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by Freemind View Post
    I bet you have some natural preservative in your kitchen right now, so why buy any??

What am I talking about? Well it's the oldest natural preservative that humans have used.

Table Salt.

You're not eating your xanthan gum lube, so why would you care if it's salty. pour some salt into the water before adding the xanthan gum.
    Bingo, no baterial growth at room tempature!
    How much salt would you recommend for 8oz of water?