Welcome to the Fleshlight Forums.
    FLight Attendant

Arrow Xanthan, Guar, and preserving lube: A definitive guide

So I just mixed up a batch of Guar and a batch of Xanthan lube. Here are the recipes:

Guar lube:
    2g (1/2 tsp) Guar Gum
    15mL (1 tbsp) liquid Glycerin
    1mL (1/4 tsp) Neem or other antimicrobial oil
    250mL (8oz) warm water

Xanthan lube:
    1g (1/4 tsp) Xanthan Gum
    15mL (1 tbsp) liquid Glycerin
    1mL (1/4 tsp) Neem or other antimicrobial oil
    250mL (8oz) warm water

In retrospect, Neem oil smells like garbanzo beans (chick peas). Not the most appealing scent for a lube (OK, it sucks majorly). Maybe I'll try lavender oil next.

Directions:
    1. Mix the gum powder with the glycerin until dissolved.
    2. Add the essential oil and water
    3. Stir (or shake it Bond style)
    4. Enjoy!

Some key differences between the gums:
    The Guar gum is evenly dissolved in the water with a runny snot consistency, but not stringy at all. Very much like natural vaginal lube, but without the stringiness. It smells very lightly of toasted rice and green wood.
    The Xanthan gum is more cohesive and gelatin-like. My xanthan batch is being stubborn and won't dissolve into the water, even after mixing it with glycerin. I'll have to report back on it after it sits and hopefully dissolves overnight. However, here's a premliminary report: the lube is very slippery and slightly stringy. It's actually slipperier than natural vaginal lube, but I'm not complaining about that. It has a barely noticeable grainy texture when you don't use enough, but nothing terribly unpleasant. That might change as it dissolves. It has a faint harsh smell like a chemical, but also slightly like toasted rice, similar to the Guar.

Of course, the Neem oil smells like garbanzo beans, so the drop I put in completely overpowers the gum smell. I didn't really want to, ahem, test the lube with the way it smelled, but then you guys wouldn't have this valuable information. For science!

I'll give a running report here on the variations between the lubes and whether the Neem oil preserves it. Hopefully I can put to bed any questions about gum lube.
    Happy FLying.
    Daxagon

FLight First Officer

Default Re: Xanthan, Guar, and preserving lube: A definitive guide

+Karma

Thanks for the recipes!

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingFanatic View Post
    +Karma

Thanks for the recipes! [[/IMG]
    +Karma from me as well. I'll have to try those at some point.
    Last edited by Bolt_Head; 03-01-2010 at 04:48 PM.

FLight First Officer

i boil my water when i mix up a batch of xanthan gum, it makes for easy mixing.

FLight Attendant

Update: The lubes are both just as dissolved as they were in my first post; Apparently Xanthan won't dissolve after a certain saturation point?
    Anyway, it still reeks like green onions, but is perfectly fresh. The Guar is slightly thicker, the Xanthan slightly more gelatin-like. Both are extremely slick in the same way natural female lubricant is, which makes for a very potent lube. I use less than a teaspoon, and that's plenty. No word on how long the stuff can last; It's so damn slick I can't last more than ninety seconds. Sounds like more SCIENCE is necessary. Will update again next week.
    Daxagon

FLight Navigator

With the xanthan gum, mix it into the glycerin first (dissolving it completely), and then add the XG/glycerin slurry to the water. This way, you avoid the lumps.

(You have to be careful not to let the teeniest tiniest drop of water come into contact with dry XG. Even condensation on the walls of the container will be trouble.)

FLight Attendant

Thanks for the tip! it would explain why I have trouble with the Xanthan. The Guar gum is much easier to dissolve, so anyone reading this might want to lean towards Guar, since it's cheaper. It does take more of it to reach the same consistency as Xanthan though.

The two containers of Neem and gum are exactly the same as when I made them. Neem oil works as a preservative, but I cannot stress how it stinks like green onions and garbanzo beans. Next time I'll use a different oil and see if that works.
    Can I get a feel for whether I could sell this to people? If it actually kept on the shelf and was cheap I might have a market.

Also, last night I made a batch of guar/xanthan, using more glycerin and two grams each of the gums. It's like snot, something you would hack up when you're sick. Which actually makes for some fun lube, if you like it very thick, as I do. No Neem oil, so we'll see how long this semi-control batch lasts without preservatives.

~Dax

FLight Attendant
    Wisconsin, USA, Earth, Orion Arm, Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by Daxagon View Post
    Thanks for the tip! it would explain why I have trouble with the Xanthan. The Guar gum is much easier to dissolve, so anyone reading this might want to lean towards Guar, since it's cheaper. It does take more of it to reach the same consistency as Xanthan though.
    I was wondering if the Guar version holds up over time if preserved well.. Or even how it holds up under, umm, pressure?? Is it as consistent as xanthan?

(I know this is an older post, but my feelings on preservatives may be well known by now. If not - all I'll say is "methylparaben" and leave it at that.)