Welcome to the Fleshlight Forums.
    FLight Attendant

Default Longer lasting Xantham Gum Lube

I love Xantham gum for lube, but it doesn't last that long. I was reading through the xantham gum thread and found a lot of people had the same problem. So I started experimenting.

Adding a few drops of alcohol isn't going to work because to use alcohol as a preservative it needs to be 20% of the solution. I also don't think grapefruit seed extract works at all, plus it irritates the skin in high doses. I saw some people adding paraben, but after reading some safety and health concerns, I'm not sure it's something I want on my dick.

My solution
    to make xantham gum lube last longer naturally.

Boil about 4 ounces of water, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of salt stir until dissolve, then let cool, mix in xantham gum as you normally would (remember not to add than xantham until it's cool). Mine last 3 weeks with salt versus 3 or 4 days without. Anything more than 3 teaspoons of salt will leave you with sandy gritty lube.
    It works because the high salt content retards the growth of microbes.

I also add a little almond extract (you can find it in the baking, or spice section of most grocery stores) to make it smell like cherries. Enjoy!

FLight Attendant

Default Re: Longer lasting Xantham Gum Lube

I love Xantham gum for lube, but it doesn't last that long. I was reading through the xantham gum thread and found a lot of people had the same problem. So I started experimenting.

Adding a few drops of alcohol isn't going to work because to use alcohol as a preservative it needs to be 20% of the solution. I also don't think grapefruit seed extract works at all, plus it irritates the skin in high doses. I saw some people adding paraben, but after reading some safety and health concerns, I'm not sure it's something I want on my dick.

My solution
    to make xantham gum lube last longer naturally.

Boil about 4 ounces of water, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of salt stir until dissolve, then let cool, mix in xantham gum as you normally would (remember not to add than xantham until it's cool). Mine last 3 weeks with salt versus 3 or 4 days without. Anything more than 3 teaspoons of salt will leave you with sandy gritty lube.
    It works because the high salt content retards the growth of microbes.

I also add a little almond extract (you can find it in the baking, or spice section of most grocery stores) to make it smell like cherries. Enjoy!

FLight Attendant

Sorry for the double post

FLight Attendant

Also don't use mint extract to improve the smell because it supposedly can mess up your hormones

FLight Attendant

If you mix in any lube containing a preservative it should last much longer as well.

I had a batch go well over a month with only like a 1:5 ratio of Fleshlube to water. The amount of Xanthan Gum I add varies since I just eyeball it and adjust after it's fully dissolved. The preservative in Fleshlube is honeysuckle extract which can be bought online but it's hard to find and somewhat expensive.

Your way is much cheaper though and I don't keep Fleshlube on hand so I'll have to try your way out.

FLight First Officer

Thanks for the tip. Will try it on the next batch.

Just flushed some XG mix I did 3 weeks ago. it was just starting to smell (I keep mine in the fridge).

FLight Attendant
    Wisconsin, USA, Earth, Orion Arm, Milky Way

Seriously, you don't care to go for longer than 5 months??

Methylparaben.. nuff said.

Most of the lubes you might be looking at probably already contain it.
    But you will be finding a mix that you like - and that's a good thing! (Not being sarcastic here.)