Welcome to the Fleshlight Forums.
    FLight Attendant

Default Best way to clean the Fleshlight (that doesn't involve alcohol)

I've read that Isopropyl alcohol is the best way to clean a Fleshlight, but quite frankly, I can't stand that stuff. It smells horrible and it makes my hands very dry.

I've heard that soap is bad for cleaning Fleshlights, but what about liquid cleansers? Maybe even a non-foaming cleanser like Cetaphil?

FLight First Officer

Default Re: Best way to clean the Fleshlight (that doesn't involve alcohol)

Don't use soap or anything that contains soap - it degrades the sleeve I've no idea about "soap-free" cleaners. I would suspect that they'd be OK as they don't contain the oil that causes the degradation but I don't know. What I would ask is why do you need to use any cleaner other than water? As long as you rinse your Fleshie through once you've used it you shouldn't need to use anything else very often.

FLight Navigator

I wouldn't recommend anything unless either ILF says it's safe or you don't mind being a guinea pig. Be careful if you do choose to try something else. Be sure to thoroughly wash your sleeve with LOTS of water after using any chemical on it to avoid transferring it to yourself. Carefully monitor your sleeve for anything suspicious, one of the biggest issues with using soaps and other unapproved chemicals is a breakdown of the material itself. It may give bacteria a place to hide and grow even if you do clean your sleeves well. Tiny microscopic holes all over the material will reduce the effectiveness of cleaners, so that no matter how hard to try you'll never get the bad stuff out.

Alcohol is still going to be your best bet. You shouldn't really need to use it very often. Immediately cleaning it with water, allowing it to dry properly, and regular powdering with corn starch should be all that is needed most of the time. If you are experiencing bacteria build-up, you may wish to revisit your sleeve cleaning and storage habits. Under normal circumstances, I don't see the need to use alcohol more than once a month.

Can try the Fleshwash product ILF sells. However, the active ingredient Triclosan has supposedly been banned in the U.K. due to toxic health concerns. Other countries, the U.S. and Canada, are also considering banning the substance which is found in many household cleaners. Primarily used in dish and laundry detergents, body soap, and toothpaste. Other products including trash bags and even clothing have been using it for a long time as well. The sheer overuse of this chemical may be partly contributing to new antibacterial/antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria popping up.

It's being detected as a contaminant in lakes, streams, rivers, and even our our drinking water supply. The body retains it to the point that it has been detected in breast milk. There's no 100% conclusive evidence pointing towards either direction on the safety of this product, but it's cause for concern. Investigation into this issue, atleast in the U.S., has only just begun.

With heavy lobbying, the companies which make these cleaning products are fighting against any negative claims with everything they have. In 1997 the FDA declared Triclosan effective in preventing Gingivitis, I assure you all the toothpaste companies are outraged that their chemical wonder is being called dangerous. Whenever a chemical is building up and being found in the body it's best to make an informed decision one way or the other.

I'm no nut, I have plenty of shit in my house that contains Triclosan. But figured you'd want to make an informed decision about using this substance on something you shove your dick into lol. =P

FLight Navigator

I've never used alcohol or anything. Just hot water, and by hot I meant I could hold my hand under it for about 30 seconds before recoiling...my landlord won't turn the temp up on the water heater, so my hot water sucks.

I only starch my ice sleeve, as it is the only one that gets sticky enough to notice.

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Horologia View Post
    I've never used alcohol or anything. Just hot water, and by hot I meant I could hold my hand under it for about 30 seconds before recoiling
    Same here After about six months I'm just starting to feel that the sleeve I use the most is starting to smell a bit and might need some alcohol soon but, if I do use alcohol, that will be the first time I've used it!

I only starch my ice sleeve, as it is the only one that gets sticky enough to notice.
    When I got my first Ice sleeve I used to starch it. Once I realised how much fuss the starching was I gave up and haven't starched since! I don't notice any difference in use.

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Indoobidubly View Post
    I've read that Isopropyl alcohol is the best way to clean a Fleshlight, but quite frankly, I can't stand that stuff. It smells horrible and it makes my hands very dry.
    I agree that Isopropyl smells bad, but I use it occasionally anyway. Better smell Isopropyl for a minute or two than smell a moldy/infected Fleshie later. So far careful washing plus Isopropyl has kept all my Fleshies as fresh as daisies.

Banned

I have used fleshlights for several years now and I have not once, used iso-alcohol to clean or sterilize a FL. Instead, I use mouthwash...people on the forums are going to come on here and say to never use anything ILF doesn't recommend, but to be frank, do you really think ILF is out there testing home cleaning products? I have used them on all sleeves, FLG, regular pink, ice, and alien and nothing is wrong. It even makes it smell minty fresh. Also, a plus side of the blue mouth wash is the die in it. It highlights anything in blue that shouldn't be there like those little pesky white mold spores. I have a SIAC sleeve with these on it, and I didn't know they were there until I soaked it in Mouthwash (I use equate brand - blue mint). They showed in little blue spores, and I washed them gone.

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by AlienSucker View Post
    I have used fleshlights for several years now and I have not once, used iso-alcohol to clean or sterilize a FL. Instead, I use mouthwash...people on the forums are going to come on here and say to never use anything ILF doesn't recommend, but to be frank, do you really think ILF is out there testing home cleaning products? I have used them on all sleeves, FLG, regular pink, ice, and alien and nothing is wrong. It even makes it smell minty fresh. Also, a plus side of the blue mouth wash is the die in it. It highlights anything in blue that shouldn't be there like those little pesky white mold spores. I have a SIAC sleeve with these on it, and I didn't know they were there until I soaked it in Mouthwash (I use equate brand - blue mint). They showed in little blue spores, and I washed them gone.
    I'm sure ILF isn't testing anything now that they sell their own brand of cleaner hehe. Pretty soon they'll tell you not to use alcohol just to sell more FleshWash. =P

There are probably plenty of things to safely clean FL sleeves with. However, the issue is mostly monetary. Like I said in my previous post, people should feel free to guinea pig cleaning products but be careful. ILF will not replace the sleeve nor pay for your antibiotics once your dick starts sneezing.

FLight Attendant

Default Best way to clean the Fleshlight (that doesn't involve alcohol)

Guy's, the cleaning part is very simple. You just wash the inside GOOD with a fresh hot jet of water... It's the drying part which is difficult. If you dry it good it's bassicly clean enough and there is no way for mold to exist. I recently am using my fish-tank blower. It's for blowing bubbles into my fishtank (it's a little tube.) But it's absoluley perfect for drying your fleshlight. I just put the little tube at the rear end of the FL and then i'm off to bed. For me this is a good way and pardon my english CHEERZ

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by The Empire View Post
    Guy's, the cleaning part is very simple. You just wash the inside GOOD with a fresh hot jet of water... It's the drying part which is difficult. If you dry it good it's bassicly clean enough and there is no way for mold to exist. I recently am using my fish-tank blower. It's for blowing bubbles into my fishtank (it's a little tube.) But it's absoluley perfect for drying your fleshlight. I just put the little tube at the rear end of the FL and then i'm off to bed. For me this is a good way and pardon my english CHEERZ
    O sorry, I forgot to mention that it's mostly dry within 2 hours. And when I mean dry I mean DRY! And there is no way for bacteria or mold to grow! This method also keeps the nasty smells away. You can also use a blow dryer I guess but for me this is the most easy way! Cheerz

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by fleshjacker69 View Post
    When I got my first Ice sleeve I used to starch it. Once I realised how much fuss the starching was I gave up and haven't starched since! I don't notice any difference in use.
    I've got the starching process down to like a 1 minute thing though. I sprinkle the starch into a towel, place the sleeve on the towel, fold it into a bundle shake it for a few seconds, and voila, starched sleeve.

FLight Navigator

I've got the starching process down to like a 1 minute thing though. I sprinkle the starch into a towel, place the sleeve on the towel, fold it into a bundle shake it for a few seconds, and voila, starched sleeve.
    hmmm i should try that with my new ice, but doesnt hair from the towel stick to it when your doing this?

@AlienSucker i tried using mounthwash with it (Listerine) and it works amazingly feels good and smells good lol thanks for the tip

FLight First Officer

I sprinkle the starch into a towel, place the sleeve on the towel, fold it into a bundle shake it for a few seconds, and voila, starched sleeve.
    But that means you've to use fresh cornflour each time you starch When I starched I used a freezer bag and put a couple of tablespoons of the flour inside. Add your fleshie and, making sure that the bag is held tightly shut, shake the bag vigorously. You end up with a floured fleshie and a bag that only needs to be topped up with a little flour before you can go again.

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by fleshjacker69 View Post
    But that means you've to use fresh cornflour each time you starch When I starched I used a freezer bag and put a couple of tablespoons of the flour inside. Add your fleshie and, making sure that the bag is held tightly shut, shake the bag vigorously. You end up with a floured fleshie and a bag that only needs to be topped up with a little flour before you can go again.
    yeah, but all I put on the towel is a pinch of starch, basically what i can grab between my fore and middle fingers and my thumb, which is less than a tablespoon, and it coveres the fleshie with a little left over in the towel.

FLight Attendant

Due to my dusty room/fan, my fleshlights always seem to accumulate dust on the outer sleeve. I can slowly pick on these dirt balls, but I'm kinda lazy to keep picking on it every few days. I know FleshWash kills bacteria but does it (or mouth wash or anything safe other than alcohol) make these dirt balls easier to wash away? Like just spray on it, and run it with water?

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by zakuro View Post
    Due to my dusty room/fan, my fleshlights always seem to accumulate dust on the outer sleeve. I can slowly pick on these dirt balls, but I'm kinda lazy to keep picking on it every few days. I know FleshWash kills bacteria but does it (or mouth wash or anything safe other than alcohol) make these dirt balls easier to wash away? Like just spray on it, and run it with water?
    The easiest way I've heard to deal with these is to rub it with corn starch, using the starch as an abrasive, wash it off, and repeat, until the balls are gone

I don't have a problem with dust and airborne particles finding my FLs, my computer seems to suck anything in the air to it instead. I have to clean out my case weekly. Thankfully, I have an air compressor in my garage, so it's a lot more cost efficient than cans of compressed air

FLight Navigator

The easiest way I've heard to deal with these is to rub it with corn starch, using the starch as an abrasive, wash it off, and repeat, until the balls are gone

I don't have a problem with dust and airborne particles finding my FLs, my computer seems to suck anything in the air to it instead. I have to clean out my case weekly. Thankfully, I have an air compressor in my garage, so it's a lot more cost efficient than cans of compressed air
    thanks for the advice it worked i wore a glove (dont like the feel of cornstarch) and robbed cornstarch over the dust balls (guess thats what it is) and 90% of it is gone, dont know how or why they appeared but since i started to let my sleeve dry and store it without being in the case havent seen anymore apear