Welcome to the Fleshlight Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xanthan Gum

FLight Attendant

Lightbulb Xanthan Gum

I've tried Astroglide and Wet (both the water and silicone based kinds) but I didn't think either was good enough to continue spending money on them. Some good, viscous saliva always seemed to do the job better. Suits me just fine as I've always been the do-it-myself sort of guy. The only problem with that is that I can almost never produce as much of it as I need. Frustrating, so frustrating.

In desperation I began looking for homemade lube recipes. I found very little, but one of the recipes I did find included xanthan gum. Xanthan gum... hmm... I'd bought a bag of it a year or two back because I thought it might help me bake a loaf of bread with a tougher crust and chewier texture, but it didn't work and it has been gathering dust ever since.

Then I did some reading. Xanthan gum is a very interesting subtance. Developed after extensive research by the US Department of Agriculture. Used both in food products as a stabilizer and in heavy industry as a lubricant. A lubricant? Really? The xanthan gum I'd bought at the grocery store came as a powder. I'd never tried seeing what happened when I dissolved it all by itself in water. So I tried it and I was blown away. The consistency, while not as good as that of saliva, was way better than the storebought lubes.

I've now been using it as a lube with my fleshlight for about 2 weeks, and I'm quickly coming to regard it as the best thing that has happened to my sex life all year. The most wonderful thing about it is how little xanthan gum powder is needed. A little seems to go a long way. I've found that I only need to add 1/4 teaspoon of powder (tops) to 1/2 cup of water in order to yield a mixture that is neither too viscous nor too runny. I like this stuff so much that I've settled into the habit of mixing up a 50ml batch of this stuff every day.

What I'm still trying to figure out is why this stuff isn't more popular and talked about as a sexual lubricant. I've noticed that some commercial brands of lubricant list it as an ingredient, and of course there's the recipe I got the idea from, but that's about it. Obviously it's biologically friendly since it's used all over the place as a food additive. I don't get it -- seems like one of the best kept secrets on the Internet to me.

FLight Navigator

Hmnm, sounds interesting. I might give it a try. Is it readily available in stores? I've never seen it before.

FLight Attendant

Default Gums in lubricants

If you read the ingredients of many commercial water-based lubricants very closely,
    you'll see that they have some type of gum as a thickening/gelling agent:
    Locust bean gum (E410)
    Guar gum (E412)
    Gum arabic (E414)
    Xanthan gum (E415)

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by chives
    Hmnm, sounds interesting. I might give it a try. Is it readily available in stores? I've never seen it before.
    I got my packet at a Whole Foods store. I haven't looked for it since because the first packet I bought is lasting me so long. You might have to look in a place where they sell "special needs" sort of baking items, because xanthan gum is a common ingredient in gluten-free bread recipes and such.

FLight Attendant

This sounds very interesting. You compared its consitency to saliva, and said it beats any other water-based lube out there. Personally, I can't stand water-based lubes, and I've tried just about every one. My main problem is how they get sticky and stringy when they start to dry up. Does your homebrew lube have this problem? Can you tell us which inserts you use and how this lube works in them compared to the store-bought lubes you've tried?

FLight Navigator

Thumbs up homemade lube recipe

Well I went out to the store and got some xanthan gum. It really is incredibly slick. I decided to mix up some homemade lube. Here's the modified recipe I came up with based on Noctua's. It really is excellent and very economical. An 8 oz bag of xanthan gum powerder is about $10 which contains 75 teaspoons of powder. I also used glycerin for which I paid $2 for 4 oz.
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum powder
    • 4 oz glycerin
    12 oz lube = $2.14
    I had to use a hand held blender thing to get the power totally disolved. Freshly blended the aeration makes it whitish and bubbly, a lot like semen really. Finally I added a few drops of grapefruit seed extract as a preservative. This is as good or better than any commercial lube I've tried. Try it! You can use more or less xanthan depending how thick and slippery you like it. It glycerin is optional I guess but I think it makes it just perfect. Also I do recomend some GSE or something for perservative otherwise you might want to store it in the fridge or just make a tiny bit at a time.

Thanks so much Noctua for the tip!
    Last edited by chives; 07-06-2006 at 09:50 PM.

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by liftoff
    Personally, I can't stand water-based lubes, and I've tried just about every one. My main problem is how they get sticky and stringy when they start to dry up. Does your homebrew lube have this problem?
    That's exactly what I didn't like about the water-based lubes I've bought... when they started to dry up, I'd always feel like I was covered in an uncomfortable layer of gooey, sugary carmel or something. Now, while it may just be my imagination that my xanthan gum lube stays wet longer, it's true that it doesn't stay wet forever. It does eventually dry up. But the strange and wonderful thing about xanthan gum is that it seems to "dry smooth". I've taken notice of this when I go to wash my hands after a torrid night of passion with my fleshlight: my hands feel fairly dry and clean, but once I put them under the running water they become really slippery and I can tell that they were caked with a thin layer of xanthan gum.

Can you tell us which inserts you use and how this lube works in them compared to the store-bought lubes you've tried?
    So far I've only used it in a WW lady, but I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work just as well whenever I feel like using an SR or SB again. It has been a long time since I've had a bottle of storebought lube on hand, and the way I use the fleshlight has evolved a lot since then, so I'm afraid I can't draw any direct comparison. All I can say is that, in the few weeks I've been using xanthan gum, I have yet to run into that dry, tacky feeling I'd always get with the bottle of Astroglide I tried. And as a side bonus, it doesn't smell funny either .

FLight Attendant

I had to use a hand held blender thing to get the power totally disolved. Freshly blended the aeration makes it whitish and bubbly, a lot like semen really.
    Ha! Funny you should mention that, Chives. That was my first reaction precisely.

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by Noctua
    All I can say is that, in the few weeks I've been using xanthan gum, I have yet to run into that dry, tacky feeling I'd always get with the bottle of Astroglide I tried. And as a side bonus, it doesn't smell funny either .
    Perfect! I'll have to pick some of this stuff up this weekend and report back how it works out for me...

With regard to getting the ingredients dissolved, I wonder if it would help to add it to hot or boiling water, such as when you're trying to add sugar to water. I didn't see you or chives mention whether you heated the water up before mixing.

Great stuff guys!

FLight Navigator

Perfect! I'll have to pick some of this stuff up this weekend and report back how it works out for me...

With regard to getting the ingredients dissolved, I wonder if it would help to add it to hot or boiling water, such as when you're trying to add sugar to water. I didn't see you or chives mention whether you heated the water up before mixing.

Great stuff guys!
    I didn't heat it up I just blended it really well. It's a good idea though I bet heating it would help it disolve much more easily.

FLight Navigator

Great stuff guys!
    That is simple Grade 7 Science right there. To dissolve a solid in a liquid better, you need to add heat, faster stirring or blending, or finer ground up solid, if it is a powder using hot water should help mix it greatly!

FLight Attendant

I mix mine in a conical laboratory flask. Sometimes I place the flask on top of my monitor's power transformer, which keeps it fairly warm if left there for a while.

Xanthan gum does tend to clump together -- sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how careful you are when you're mixing it in. The clumps disappear eventually as water seeps into them, and I'm sure heat helps clarify the mixture faster, but it hasn't been much of an issue for me. Sometimes I don't think far enough ahead and have to mix some up only minutes before using it, but as long as I mix the powder in slowly and shake the flask vigorously for about 1/2 minute to a minute, I never have a problem with lumps.

FLight Navigator

Do you chemists have a recommendation for enhancement by adding flavorings and/or aromatic substances?

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by antenna
    Do you chemists have a recommendation for enhancement by adding flavorings and/or aromatic substances?
    There is a post on the forum somwhere by a chemist who said that essential oils in small amounts won't hurt the fleshlight. So I can imagine you could add all kinds of different things like mint, or cinnamon. You could also add artificial sweetener, and for fruit flavors maybe coolaid powder or something.
    Last edited by chives; 07-09-2006 at 02:25 PM.

FLight Attendant

can someone advise me on where to get xanthan gum? I cannot find it in grocery stores and kmarts

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by BigfootsMonk
    can someone advise me on where to get xanthan gum? I cannot find it in grocery stores and kmarts
    I found it at the grocery store in the health food section with the baking stuff. It's intended for making wheat gluten free baked goods. Mine came in an 8oz plastic bag and it was "Bob's Red Mill" brand. You can also get it online [URL="http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=431"]here[/URL] or other places I'm sure.

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by BigfootsMonk
    It can also be had at amazon.com, but I'd prefer to buy locally so I can ensure I get a fresh package.

I wasn't able to find anything last weekend at my local grocery, which has a meager selection. I'll have to head to the big city and hit up the all natural stores.

FLight Attendant

Default Glycerin optional... and does what?

[quote=chives] I also used glycerin for which I paid $2 for 4 oz.
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum powder
    • 4 oz glycerin

12 oz lube = $2.14
    It glycerin is optional I guess but I think it makes it just perfect.

It seems the glycerin is the bulk of the cost (more than 90%) of the finished product. What impact does the glycerin have? Did you try a batch without the glycerin and if so, what is the difference between the two batches? I do know that most commercial water-based lubes use glycerin but wasn't sure of the effect versus just the xanthum gum/water mix.

FLight Navigator

[quote=gcmsking]

It seems the glycerin is the bulk of the cost (more than 90%) of the finished product. What impact does the glycerin have? Did you try a batch without the glycerin and if so, what is the difference between the two batches? I do know that most commercial water-based lubes use glycerin but wasn't sure of the effect versus just the xanthum gum/water mix.
    It's very good without the glycerin. The glycerin just gave it a slightly different feel, and I think it lasts a bit longer with the glycerin since glycerin doesn't evaporate. This way it's still pretty good even when it starts to getting a little dry.

FLight Attendant

Thumbs down What brand of GSE to use for Xantham mixture

First off thanks to all fo you that have provided the homemade mixture...the xantham one is calling my namea and i'm planning on purchasing some to give it a try....someone (sorry but I don't remember who) recommended the use of a few drops of GSE (which I've come to learn is Grapefruit Seed Extract). Not sure what store I could purchase this...but have found numerous items online...one is actually called GSE and it's a concentrate that they recomment be diluted with water...so it sounds like a couple of drops of this in the xantham mixture would do the trick...

my main question stems from onf of the GSE items I found that is a tincture of 60% GSE and 40% vegetable glycerin....when I read that I remembered the glycerin portion of the recipe recommended by Noctua, I think, if not Chives...

anyway...just looking for more specifics in regards to the GSE as a preservative for these homemade lubes, and if getting the 60/40 tincture would be effective and if I would be effectively killing two birds with one stone as it comes 40% vegetable glycerin...

any thoughts?

FLight Attendant

Red face disregard this

couldn't find how to subscribe to this thread, and hadn't set my options to subscribe me with a reply until after i'd replied...so here's another just for that reason..sorry folks...

not used to this interface...been a longtime since i've used this type of forum interface..

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by mystique13
    anyway...just looking for more specifics in regards to the GSE as a preservative for these homemade lubes, and if getting the 60/40 tincture would be effective and if I would be effectively killing two birds with one stone as it comes 40% vegetable glycerin...

any thoughts?
    The amount of glycerin you would get from the GSE would be negligible considering the amount of GSE that you would use, although the glycerin is optional anyways.

I have not yet determined if GSE is effective for this purpose. The GSE is pretty strong stuff. If you dilute a few drops in a cup of water and taste it you'll know what I mean. I don't know how much GSE it would take to be effective, nor do I know if that amount of GSE would be mild enough to apply to your penis.

You might consider a paraben based perservative which is what most "real" lube contains. You can get some at [URL="http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/preservatives.html"]http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/preservatives.html[/URL].

FLight Attendant

Question Xantham Vs. Guar

I went to Whole Foods just to see if I could find the Xantham poweder, which I almost missed, but ended up finding. Right next to it was Guar gum powder which was waaaaaaaaay cheaper, like 43.99 for the same size bag of Xantham at $10.99...has anyone tried Guar gum powder for a lube solution? or does anyone know how well it might work and how safe it is to use on bare skin?

Thanks!

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by mystique13
    I went to Whole Foods just to see if I could find the Xantham poweder, which I almost missed, but ended up finding. Right next to it was Guar gum powder which was waaaaaaaaay cheaper, like 43.99 for the same size bag of Xantham at $10.99...has anyone tried Guar gum powder for a lube solution? or does anyone know how well it might work and how safe it is to use on bare skin?

Thanks!
    I was at Whole Foods yesterday and had a bit of xanthan gum sticker shock as well. They wanted $12 for an 8oz package, and didn't offer any smaller packages. Considering how little of the product is required to make the lube, I didn't want to buy a lot of this stuff just to have it go to waste

One of the posts at the top of the thread mentions guar gum being an ingredient in commercial lubes just as xanthan gum. I might head back over tomorrow and give the guar a shot if my local store has it as cheap as noted above.

FLight Attendant

There is a post on the forum somwhere by a chemist who said that essential oils in small amounts won't hurt the fleshlight. So I can imagine you could add all kinds of different things like mint, or cinnamon. You could also add artificial sweetener, and for fruit flavors maybe coolaid powder or something.
    Gotta thank you fine folks for this amazing recipe. I made it today after gathering the ingredients, and I must say that the lubricant it makes is excellent and affordable.

Another thing that impressed me is that vegetable glycerin is edible, and a low gylcemic index sugar substitute. Therefore the lubricant is safe for consumption, and has a mild flavor to it.

I added the GSE [about 3 or 4 drops], but was curious how long I can store it before it goes bad. I don't anticipate putting it in the fridge, but could to extend the shelf life...any ideas?

Overall, thank you for this economic alternative and a damn good recipe!

Cheers,
    Topher

FLight Navigator

Hello. There is certainly a lack of info on Xanthan Gum and other used as a personal lubricant. I think you have definately cracked a good formula here.

The first two ingredients (highest amounts) of many water based lubes are water and glycerin. Glycerin thickens water, but it doesn't form a good lube. The key is definately in an ingredient used in smaller amounts, and that's xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is unique because only a very small amount if needed to take care of plenty of water. It's called pseudoplasticity, high viscosity at low shear rates. That's probably why it has gone fairly unnoticed online as an ingredient in home made personal lube, because only a very small amount is in lubes.

Glycerin should help it to not dry out. I think vegetable glycerin is better, but always use enough water because glycerin can dry out your skin big time. I'm not sure how it will be if this lube dries up since glycerin doesn't evaporate, and without water it could try to pull water from your skin. Imo use it sparingly. Water based lubes may have other ingredients to aid the glycerin that this forumla doesn't have.

As for the larger amount of xanthan gum, smaller amounts don't hurt the fleshlight (since it's in water based lube), so larger amounts shouldn't either.. but you never know.

It should be 100% safe to *you* since it's considered a safe food additive and the ratio isn't limited (they didn't find an unsafe amount, meaning there shouldn't be a risk no matter how much you use)

FLight Attendant

Default Update on this great recipe

I've been away awhile... but must say I put a slight twist on this recipe and have not looked back.

I used the water/xanthum gum mix, heated and stirred... then added a small amount of cornstarch (premixed with a little water). This slightly thickens the lube to what is, for me, a perfect consistency. Previously, it was too thin - runny, a bit messy. This is perfect. I also used the glycerin and GSE and have had no problem with mold. I use an old "liquid hand soap" container and do not refridgerate. This has been absolutely perfect.

If you are looking for ingredients, they are all available through Amazon - also cheapest place I could find and saved me from running all over town.

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by datasampler
    ... glycerin can dry out your skin big time....
    Actually [URL="http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/glycerine.html"]glycerin is an emollient[/URL] that should help moisturize the skin, but it's completely optional. Just the xanthan gum and water makes a great lube.

FLight Attendant

Default Current recipe

One tablespoon of guar gum
    One teaspoon of xanthan gum
    Then depending on how thick you want it, around about 1.8 (+/- 3 dl) liters of water
    Or vary the mix of guar:xanthan ratio between 50:50 and 80:20, keeping the water:gum ratio between 98:2 and 99:1 . Very jelly-like at the 98:2 level when uhm, not using, but will liquefy a bit when movin'n'shakin.

[url]http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/hydro.html[/url]

FLight Navigator

I was wondering if anyone has done more experimenting with different recipes of this xanthan gum lube? I did some research into natural preservatives and found some interesting studies on honey. It seems a relatively small amount of raw honey could do a good job of preventing mold and other nasties in any homemade lube.

FLight Navigator

So if you only used water and Xanthan Gum, do you still need to put GSE (or other anti-microbials)?

Do you need to refrigerate?

musicman51

Quote Originally Posted by FLy Boy
    I was wondering if anyone has done more experimenting with different recipes of this xanthan gum lube? I did some research into natural preservatives and found some interesting studies on honey. It seems a relatively small amount of raw honey could do a good job of preventing mold and other nasties in any homemade lube.
    There's honey in some of the so-called "warming" lubes, I think. Don't know whether it's used as a preservative in them, though.

FLight Navigator

I'm hooked!

I was finally running low enough on my bought lubes that I figured it was time to try Xanthan Gum. I found a bulk foods store that sells it in packages as small as 2.5oz so I picked one up to test this stuff out.

1/4 tsp made a 1/4 cup (50ml) into an interesting consistancy I haven't seen before in a lube. It was somewhere between a runny lube like astroglide and a gel like ky jelly. Thick enough to not make a mess but runny enough to pour down the backend of the FL.

In a word, this stuff is SPECTACULAR!

It's easily on a par with Astroglide for slickness, lasts longer even in the shower, doesn't dry sticky, and clean up is only slightly harder than other lubes I've tried. Just to be clear... the hard part about the clean up is that it reactivates with water so well that it takes a little longer to wash away. Besides that, there's no odor, no stickiness, no stains.

To top it off it's the cheapest lube you'll ever find. If my calculations are right, this $3.35 packet will make up 3 liters of lube at this fairly thick consistancy, and much more if you prefer a thinner lube.

In fact that's another great thing about it. YOU have 100% control over the consistancy. You can make it as thick or thin as you like and change it up anytime you want!

Finally, the results. Well, what I can say? I've only tried it once and I'm so blown away I had to come on and post about it! The GREATEST orgasm my entire life! Yeeeeehaaaaaw!

FLight Navigator

Second test, this time outside the shower. And again FANTASTIC results! One application of this xanthan gum lube out lasted me and produced an orgasm that nearly turned my balls inside out!

Now I just need to find a good container, maybe I'll dump the rest of my astroglide and use that bottle, LOL!

FLight Navigator

If anyone is curious, xanthan gum lube lasts only 2 days unrefridgerated without preservatives. By the 3rd day I couldn't see any mold, but I could smell it.

I've also done some more research into GSE. Turns out it is being used as a preservative in lots of things now, especially skin care products. It is a broad spectrum anti-microbial. It kills bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. And all research indicates it is completely non-toxic.

I'm still looking into the amount needed to effectively act as a preservative. Some information I found indicates that 0.5% GSE will provide an indefinite shelf life. So if you're making up a 5oz batch to put in your old astroglide bottle, you would use 9 drops of GSE.

FLight First Officer

After reading this thread, I tried making some xanthan gum lube to see what it's like since I wanted a lube that contained no glycerin which can become food for bio-organisms.

I mixed 1/4 tsp xanthan gum with 2 oz water, tried it with my fleshlight, and it was by far the best lube ever! Super slippery, not too runny, not too thick, does not get sticky as it dries, easily reactivated with addition of water or cum. I didn't add any preservative, so I refrigerate it when not in use, and warm it up before each FLight session.

I couldn't find any xanthan gum in local stores, so I bought a [URL="http://www17.netrition.com/now_xanthan_powder_page.html"]6 oz bottle from netrition.com[/URL]. This is enough to make 214 oz of lube!

FLight Navigator

Preservative Update

My last batch of XANtastic! consisted of:
    5oz purified water
    1/3tsp of xanthan gum
    7 drops of GSE

I made it up about 3 weeks ago and it has sat unrefridgerated ever since. There is no hint of mold to be found. Looks like GSE is a winner!

FLight Attendant

Just whipped up a batch of this. Minus the GSE which I don't have. So I kept the batch small. What I noticed from my first attempt was the xanthan gum clumped together instantly when put in the water. So I tried a second attempt with hot water. It did the same but I have been constantly stirring. So far it feels pretty good though. Alot of the clumps have dissolved. Did any of you guys notice the clumping? I've been mixing for a while now with fairly hot water, it seems to be coming to a nice consistency now.

Also where's a good place to find GSE?

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by 3sixtyfour
    Did any of you guys notice the clumping?
    Yes, I noticed the initial clumping too. It takes a few hours to completely dissolve.

FLight Attendant

I couldn’t find xanthan gum, so I've been using guar gum; I don’t know how it compares to xanthan gum, but I prefer it over ID glide.

I've found a good method for mixing up the lube without chunks: mix the gum powder with a very small amount of rubbing alcohol (70% works fine), usually all it takes is a teaspoon of alcohol, just enough to wet all the powder and still be able to swish the fluid about. Then add the water, and quickly mix. You can mix in the glycerine at this point if you want.

Now, alcohol is probably going to burn your dick, so put it in the microwave and give it a couple minutes to boil off the alcohol. This is going to make your kitchen smell of alcohol, so open some windows or something. You’ll know when you’ve boiled enough off by taking the container into another room that doesn’t stink of alcohol and sniffing the vapours coming off the container, if they still smell of alcohol and burn your nose like hell, give it some more time in the microwave. I imagine boiling with alcohol pretty much sterilizes the lube; I usually leave a little alcohol in it as a preservative.

FLight Navigator

I use an electric mixer with hot water, takes a minute or two to dissolve all the clumps.

Just about any health food store or health food section of a supermarket should sell GSE. You can also buy it online.

I do have an update regarding GSE. I noticed at the 7 drops GSE to 5oz water concentration I was starting to get some minor skin irritation. So I reduced it to 5 drops GSE to 8oz water. No more irritation and the GSE is still keeping the mixture fresh.

M45, from what I've read the main difference between the two is that you need about 4 times as much guar gum to take care of the same about of water.

FLight Attendant

That’s weird, I've been using 1 teaspoon of guar gum to 1 cup of water with good results. I haven’t found the need to use any sort of preservative. I make about 3 weeks supply at a time, and haven’t had it go bad yet, even keeping it at room temperature.

FLight Attendant

Default Stickyness with homemade lube, none with ID Glide

Howdy,

I tried the water, glycerin, xanthum gun formula described in this thread, and it does work really well. I have one question though--I was previously using ID glide and the exterior of the insert was never sticky. I used the homemade lube for the first time today and put a little on the exterior of the FL to make the orifice-skin contact more pleasant, rinsed the FL after use, and now the FL has a sticky exterior around the orifice.

I noticed that some people just use glycerin as a lube, some people just use xanthan gum, and some use a combination... so, has anyone else noticed a stickyness when using a homemade lube after drying the FL? I'd like to continue using the homemade lube as long as I'm not somehow damaging the insert. Thanks!

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by fleshwhoa
    I used the homemade lube for the first time today and put a little on the exterior of the FL to make the orifice-skin contact more pleasant, rinsed the FL after use, and now the FL has a sticky exterior around the orifice.
    I did an experiment to compare xanthan gum lube and ID Glide. I rubbed some xanthan gum lube on one side of the insert, and rubbed ID Glide on the other side of the insert. As I was rubbing both lubes, I noticed the layer of powder come loose from the fleshlight material and rub off into the lube.

After letting both lubes dry, I noticed that the dry xanthan gum was not sticky, and the dry ID Glide was sticky.

Then I rinsed off both lubes under warm water, and let it dry. I noticed that the places where both lubes used to be were both sticky due to the natural stickiness of the fleshlight material when all the powder in removed.

After repowdering, the stickiness went away.

FWIW, I.ve been using homemade lube consisting of only xanthan gum plus water - no glycerin.

FLight Attendant

Awesome. I'll continue with the xanthan gum lube then (probably without glycerin). Thanks!

FLight Attendant

I found it at the grocery store in the health food section with the baking stuff. It's intended for making wheat gluten free baked goods. Mine came in an 8oz plastic bag and it was "Bob's Red Mill" brand. You can also get it online [URL="http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=431"]here[/URL] or other places I'm sure.
    For those that live in Canada...Ontario anyway...I found it without any problem at The Real Canadian Super Store (Loblaws) in the baking section of the Organic/Natural Foods aisle. It was Bob's Red Mill brand as mentioned above and was $12.99. Since most commercial lubes in Canada can cost upwards of $15.00 for a small 5oz bottle or smaller, the $12.99 price tag was no big deal to me considering how little you have to use and the total amount of lube 1 bag will produce over time.

FLight Attendant

I'm definitely going to be trying this.

Do they sell Xanthan Gum at health food stores? Or supermarket?

And what the best way to keep it preserved (besides parabens)? Would keeping it in the fridge help? I also heard about someone adding Grape Seed Extract. Does that work?

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Indoobidubly
    Would keeping it in the fridge help?
    Yes. That's how I preserve mine.

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by FLightPilot
    Yes. That's how I preserve mine.
    How long does it last when kept in the fridge?

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Indoobidubly
    How long does it last when kept in the fridge?
    The longest I've kept some in the fridge before it was all used up was around 2 months, and it was still fresh all that time.