Welcome to the Fleshlight Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Xanthan Gum

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by FLightPilot
    The longest I've kept some in the fridge before it was all used up was around 2 months, and it was still fresh all that time.
    Sweet, thanks.

Do you heat it up before using it (like in the microwave)?

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Indoobidubly
    Do you heat it up before using it (like in the microwave)?
    Yes. I microwave it to get the chill out and get only slightly warm.

Bolt_Head

I don't know if anyone is aware of this or not but Xanthan Gum is made by fermenting d-potassium and polymers. And since the fleshlights are made of oil and polymers, xanthan gum might melt or ruin the insert. Anything with oil or polymers will ruin the fleshlight inserts.

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_Head
    I don't know if anyone is aware of this or not but Xanthan Gum is made by fermenting d-potassium and polymers. And since the fleshlights are made of oil and polymers, xanthan gum might melt or ruin the insert. Anything with oil or polymers will ruin the fleshlight inserts.
    Interesting Bolt Head. Anyone who has used Xanthan Gum for a while care to chime in?

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_Head
    ... xanthan gum might melt or ruin the insert.
    In an alternate universe it might, but in this universe it doesn't.

Also, the ingredient "[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyquaternium"]Polyquaternium 15[/URL]" in astroglide liquid is a polymer.

FLight Attendant

I just made a batch of this and so far so good, I think.

I had a lot of trouble getting the lumps of Xanthan Gum mixed with the water. I basically just shook the bottle and used a toothpick to poke the chunks.

If anyone knows of an easier way to mix it I'd love to hear it.

FLight First Officer

If anyone knows of an easier way to mix it I'd love to hear it.
    Just letting it sit over night causes the chunks to fully dissolve.

FLight Attendant

Just letting it sit over night causes the chunks to fully dissolve.
    Awesome. Thanks, dude.

One more final question: should I store the Xanthan Gum in the refrigerator as well?

FLight First Officer

should I store the Xanthan Gum in the refrigerator as well?
    Probably, yes.

FLight Attendant

I tried my batch of 1/2 cup water to 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum and it's a great lube... it's just a little too slick for me. Would cutting the Xanthan Gum down to 1/4 teaspoon help at all?

FLight Attendant

I've finally ordered one of these things, and it should be here by the weekend (2-day shipping). :bird: New apartment for me - but all packages go through the front office first. Let's just hope that the package doesn't endure any damage during shipping, and allow a peek at what's inside, or if anyone there just gets nosy.:dong:

So anyway, what does the packaging for xanthan gum look like? I checked the baking aisle of a grocery store I frequent, and didn't happen to see any xanthan gum. They do have an "organic" and health-food section. Would it be there? In my Internet travels, I also found that it might be used for gelling up cold food items.

In what department(s) has anyone found their xanthan gum supply?

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by J22197
    In what department(s) has anyone found their xanthan gum supply?
    I couldn't find any xanthan gum in local stores, so I bought a [URL=http://www17.netrition.com/now_xanthan_powder_page.html]6 oz bottle from netrition.com[/URL].

FLight Attendant

anyone know what other kinds of words you might use to refer to this? I can't find any danish word for it :hmmmm:

FLight Attendant

In an alternate universe it might, but in this universe it doesn't.

Also, the ingredient "Polyquaternium 15" in astroglide liquid is a polymer.
    Just what I was thinking. The ID Glide lists at least one polymer in its ingredient list. It's kind of like saying, "Since this apple contains carbon, and I also contain carbon, it's going to melt or ruin my insides."
    It don't quite work that way.

FLight Attendant

NEW Info: go get your Xanthan Gum from bodybuilding.com they have one priced at around 6 bucks with 3.99 shipping so total about 10bucks (you can also get some supplement there for the same shipping I believe)

FLight Attendant

Default Confused about the recomended preservative

Some of the posts in this thread mention "grapefruit seed extract" and others mention "grape seed" extract. I don't claim to have any superior powers of observation but I have detected noticable differences between grapes and grapefruits. Both extracts seem to have claims of antimicrobial properties.

Grapefruit seed extract's claims as a preservative seem to be debunked. Yes, all the reports led back to the same study but that study made a lot of sense.

I havn't been able to find grapefruit seed extract locally but it certainly is available online. Every place I checked locally did stock the "grape seed extract" in capsuls or tablets.

So which product are you all using as a preservative ?

FLight Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRay
    Some of the posts in this thread mention "grapefruit seed extract" and others mention "grape seed" extract. I don't claim to have any superior powers of observation but I have detected noticable differences between grapes and grapefruits. Both extracts seem to have claims of antimicrobial properties.

Grapefruit seed extract's claims as a preservative seem to be debunked. Yes, all the reports led back to the same study but that study made a lot of sense.

I havn't been able to find grapefruit seed extract locally but it certainly is available online. Every place I checked locally did stock the "grape seed extract" in capsuls or tablets.

So which product are you all using as a preservative ?
    I think people mistakenly put grape seed extract. It's grapefruit seed extract that you want. I have never tried it. I kept my xantham gum lube in the fridge without a preservative and it seemed to work fine. Although I didn't buy it there, I found GSE at Whole Foods.

FLight Attendant

Anyone happen to know what active ingredient(s) is used in warming lubes for the warming feeling? I'm kinda wanting to experiment with that. Wouldn't be as easy to get most of the chemicals used in lubes in person, but ordering from a chemical supply company online would be feasible.

FLight Captain

Active ingredient: Fire

FLight Attendant

Xanthan gum is an emulsifier so, since the fleshlight is mostly non-polar(you can tell by the oils it leaves behind and all the warnings against using non water-souble lubricants) xanthan should cause the fleshlight to lose it's cohesiveness as it allows the fleshlight molecules to mix with water.

On the other hand, my fleshlight has only been used with water and ID lube for about 9 months and it's falling apart anyways.

musicman51

Quote Originally Posted by mareel
    Anyone happen to know what active ingredient(s) is used in warming lubes for the warming feeling? I'm kinda wanting to experiment with that. Wouldn't be as easy to get most of the chemicals used in lubes in person, but ordering from a chemical supply company online would be feasible.
    Go to a website for one of the lubes that has both warming and non-warming and compare the ingredients!

Not every lube website lists ingredients, but I know that some do. Try ID, perhaps, or Astroglide. Both of them (I think) make warming and non-warming.

FLight First Officer

I have to try it now

Will it degrade my FL over time???

FLight First Officer

I found Xanthan Gum even cheaper at [URL="http://www.iherb.com/ProductsList.aspx?c=1&cid=1646&gclid=CPyekOqez5ACF QGzGgodBhvtWQ"]http://www.iherb.com/ProductsList.aspx?c=1&cid=1646&gclid=CPyekOqez5ACF QGzGgodBhvtWQ[/URL]

You guy said $12 for 8oz, I found it at $5.43 for 6oz

$12 / 8oz = $1.5 per oz
    $5.43 / 6oz = $0.90 per oz

but there is shipping (mine came out to $2.21)
    Last edited by Balls_To_The_Walls; 12-29-2007 at 10:48 PM.

FLight Navigator

Reading this forum... am I the only one that gets this visual of Mr Wizard wanking?

FLight Navigator

(those under the age of 30... replace "Mr Wizard" with "Bill Nye the Science Guy")

FLight Navigator

LOL! Now I can't that imagery out of my head, although for me it's "Beakman's World" (or his freaky assistant, that guy in the giant rat costume)

FLight Attendant

Woo! Bill Nye brings back so many memories, lol. (Yeah, not old enough for Mr. Wizard, though I've seen his show a couple of times)

So I'm guessing XG w/ GSE lube has no adverse effects with the Fleshlight, yeah?

musicman51

Let's try to keep this thread on topic, guys. This is a really useful thread for those who want to make their own lube (Mr. Wizard and Bill Nye notwithstanding)!

FLight First Officer

iHerb is quite cheap

4oz of GSE for $9.89 (MSRP $17.98)
    [URL="http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=1054&at=0"]http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=1054&at=0[/URL]

4oz of GSE for $13.26 (MSRP $19.50)
    [URL="http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=4215&at=0"]http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=4215&at=0[/URL]

8oz of Guar gum for $4.02 (MSRP $5.99)
    [URL="http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=619&at=0"]http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=619&at=0[/URL]

16oz of Guar gum for $6.59 (MSRP $11.98)
    [URL="http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=1228&at=0"]http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=1228&at=0[/URL]

FLight First Officer

I found the 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum to 1/2 cup water too thick for me(it felt thicker than ketchup), I like the 1/4 teaspoon to 1 cup water more

here are some stats I made on Xanthan gum

Quote Originally Posted by Balls_To_The_Walls
    - 1/4 teaspoon of Xanthan gum make 1 cup of lube
    - there is 214 1/4 teaspoon in 6oz of Xanthan gum
    - that's 214 cups of lube
    - 1 cup = 8oz of lube
    - 214 cups x 8 oz = 1712oz of lube
    - 1712oz = 13.375 gallons
    - 5oz of Astroglide is $7.25 = $1.45 per .oz
    - 1712oz Xanthan gum is $6.00 = $.003 per .oz
    - you can't beat $.003 per .oz
    - you can't beat $.45 per gallon

FLight Attendant

After the 9.5oz bottole of ID Glide I purchased with my Lady WW and Butt SB ran out (about 2 months ), I was looking for more cost effective means of lubricating my inserts. After read this thread, I purchased the Xanthan Gum and Grapefruit Seed Extract on Amazon.

I used 1 Teaspoon of Xanthan Gum to a little over 1 cup of water (I eyeballed the amount). I heated the water up in a pan, then added the Xanthan Gum, continually stirring. After about 2 minutes I turned off the heat and added 5 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract. I put this in a 20oz water bottle, and shook it up for a few more minutes to break up the chunks of Xanthan Gum that were left. There were still 2 more chunks left, that even stayed for the last several nights that I've had it in my room.

Now, the consistency of mine was pretty runny. Much more than ID Glide and other lubes I've tried in the past. I felt that it was a much better lube though, and I didn't need to use as much as I would with ID Glide. Also, it "reactived" better with water once it started thicken up.

I have to say, I'm just glad I found out about this as soon as I did. The 2oz bottle of Xanthan Gum will probably last me several years!

Just think, with the savings you'll have from making your own lube this way, you could buy yourself a new insert!

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Kloud
    After the 9.5oz bottole of ID Glide I purchased with my Lady WW and Butt SB ran out (about 2 months ), I was looking for more cost effective means of lubricating my inserts. After read this thread, I purchased the Xanthan Gum and Grapefruit Seed Extract on Amazon.

I used 1 Teaspoon of Xanthan Gum to a little over 1 cup of water (I eyeballed the amount). I heated the water up in a pan, then added the Xanthan Gum, continually stirring. After about 2 minutes I turned off the heat and added 5 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract. I put this in a 20oz water bottle, and shook it up for a few more minutes to break up the chunks of Xanthan Gum that were left. There were still 2 more chunks left, that even stayed for the last several nights that I've had it in my room.

Now, the consistency of mine was pretty runny. Much more than ID Glide and other lubes I've tried in the past. I felt that it was a much better lube though, and I didn't need to use as much as I would with ID Glide. Also, it "reactived" better with water once it started thicken up.

I have to say, I'm just glad I found out about this as soon as I did. The 2oz bottle of Xanthan Gum will probably last me several years!

Just think, with the savings you'll have from making your own lube this way, you could buy yourself a new insert!
    you can always make it thicker by adding more xanthan gum, I used the ID Glide that came with the FL and it's sub-par to the X-gum lube

FLight Attendant

you can always make it thicker by adding more xanthan gum, I used the ID Glide that came with the FL and it's sub-par to the X-gum lube
    You know, I just went searching through for all the threads about Xanthan Gum in the past, and you seem to be the final post in just about every single one

How about making a definative post on Xanthan Gum and making your own lubes? Get it stickied and you'd be in business

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Kloud
    You know, I just went searching through for all the threads about Xanthan Gum in the past, and you seem to be the final post in just about every single one

How about making a definative post on Xanthan Gum and making your own lubes? Get it stickied and you'd be in business
    b/c it's the best lube out there and someone needs to say it :thumbsup:

definative post??? like what???

FLight Navigator

Think he means start your own thread.....

Just a quick question to any of the XG guys....do any of you own an Aneros and if so, have you tried XG as lube with it??

Cos im keen to try it but with no glycerine and maybe only 2 or 3 drops of GSE instead of the normal 5 cos I know it irritates the skin abit when strong enough and I certainly dont wanna get that down there irritated lol

FLight First Officer

IDK but you could make XG lube without any GSE in it at all

FLight Navigator

Well yeh, but then it's not going to last more than two days??

I keep my lube in a closed cupboard, but unrefrigerated....

And I dont have the time to keep making small batches...I make one batch every 6 weeks or so? It lasts me a hell of a long time! Gotto love XG!

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonwonder
    Well yeh, but then it's not going to last more than two days??

I keep my lube in a closed cupboard, but unrefrigerated....

And I dont have the time to keep making small batches...I make one batch every 6 weeks or so? It lasts me a hell of a long time! Gotto love XG!
    It'll last more than 2 days, I make 4oz of lube everyweek(keeping it out in the open w/o refrigerating) and at the end of the week it has a slight odor but you can't smell it after FLing

FLight Attendant

this stuff is great! any idea's on how to flavor it to taste and smell like real pussy. seriously.

FLight Navigator

Damn... I mixed in everything correctly but it seems I added one wrong thing... I put in Grape Seed extract instead of Grapefruit seed extract... Anyone know what this will cause?

FLight Navigator

One could have lots of fun with this stuff if they wanted to. I'm thinking dumping a whole bag in a bathtub lol and see how that feels. Or, it makes great semen. I was mixing it up with warm water and a splotch got on me and it felt like I came on myself lol.

FLight Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by musicman51
    Go to a website for one of the lubes that has both warming and non-warming and compare the ingredients!

Not every lube website lists ingredients, but I know that some do. Try ID, perhaps, or Astroglide. Both of them (I think) make warming and non-warming.
    It's an exothermic reaction, much like those self drying car wash things use. That's all I know.

FLight Attendant

Default But is it safe for the FL?

Can anybody that has been using X-gum for a while attest to the safety for the Fleshlight? Are Bolthead's worries unfounded at this point? I'd assume it would be safe, as it's used with many Lubes already, but a definitive answer would be nice.

FLight First Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle21
    Can anybody that has been using X-gum for a while attest to the safety for the Fleshlight?
    I've been using xanthan gum for a year now, and there's no degradation of the FL.

FLight Attendant

I'm FLyBoy (forgot password and changed emails so now I can't get my old password, LOL!)

I used xanthan gum for a year before my FL got a split in it. Was it the XG that damaged it? I don't know. What I do know is that it doesn't matter because I can buy a new FL 20 times over with the money I've saved on lube.

I just whipped up my first batch of guar gum lube. This stuff goes even further than xanthan and it's 1/3 the price. It's got a different consistency though, more oily, so I'm hoping it's not going to damage my FL. Maybe I'll use it on my SB since I don't like that as much as my WW.

FLight Attendant

Default safety of GSE in xantham lube?

I bought some GSE. The NutriBiotic brand.

but now I'm concerned about using it, based on the "Avoid all contact on sensitive areas " warning. I also read an article online about how GSE really isn't that natural. It starts with a natural product but through some chemical processes it's not so natural anymore.

Can anyone vouch for its safety? Does it really make the xantham lube last longer? Did anyone have any skin irritation using it?

Thanks for any help.

FLight First Officer

you got grapefruit seed extract right

to test for skin irritation make a batch of lube and apply a small amout to your armpit, if it's irritated then you used to much GSE and tone it down

FLight Attendant

you got grapefruit seed extract right

to test for skin irritation make a batch of lube and apply a small amout to your armpit, if it's irritated then you used to much GSE and tone it down
    yeah, grapefruit seed. okay, i'll try that. thanks for the tip.

FLight First Officer

glad I could help you

FLight Navigator

I think this thread clearly deserves a bump!
    If I hadn't discovered it I'd still use that expensive,
    sticky water-based bought lube...

even searched my whole town for it till I finally found it in a cosmetics store,
    this is so helpful to newbies!